The information on this page relates to the entirety of this website: both Oceanographic Magazine and the Ocean Photographer of the Year. For information regarding the specific terms and conditions for entry into the Ocean Photographer of the Year, please scroll down this page to the heading ‘Ocean Photographer of the Year T&Cs’. Thank you.
This website is operated by CXD MEDIA Ltd. The terms ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’, used throughout this site, make reference to CXD MEDIA Ltd. We offer this website – inclusive of all information, tools and services – available to you, the user, on acceptance of all terms and conditions.
By visiting our site and/or purchasing something from us, you engage in our ‘service’ and agree to be bound by respective terms and conditions. These terms apply to all users, including – but not limited to – browsers, customers, merchants, and/or contributors.
Please read our terms and conditions before using this site. By accessing or using any part of the site, you agree to be bound by our terms. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, you should desist from using the website or our services.
Any new features, tools or services added to the current website shall also be subject to relevant terms, viewable on this page. We reserve the right to update or change our terms by posting amendments to our website. It is the user’s responsibility to check for changes. Continued use of the website after changes constitutes acceptance of said changes.
You may not use our products for illegal or unauthorised purposes. This includes – but is not limited to – the infringement of copyright laws. Reproduction, duplication, copying, selling, reselling or exploitation of any of our services and products is strictly prohibited. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason, at any time, or to terminate services already provided should terms be breached.
Your privacy is important to us. Personal information is never shared with third parties unless you give permission, conforming to General Data Protection Regulation.
When you buy or subscribe through our shop, we collect the necessary personal information to process the transaction – your name, address and email address, for example. And the usual browsing information, such as IP address, is collected when users interact with our site.
You will only receive newsletters from us if you have signed-up to do so. Provided email addresses will not be shared with any other party, and users can unsubscribe whenever they wish. The only circumstance in which data will be shared with a third-party is on sign-up for free digital copies available through our partnership with the Marine Conservation Society. Free digital copies are distributed by the Marine Conservation Society, not CXD MEDIA Ltd, so email addresses (representative of ‘charity support’) are required, with a non mandatory option to sign up to their e-newsletter. The sign-up process is clearly laid-out, with users aware they are signing-up to a third-party newsletter. Users can unsubscribe at any time.
Certain third-party service providers, such as payment gateways and other payment transaction processors, have their own privacy policies. We recommend you read their privacy policies to understand how your personal information will be handled.
Equally, in instances where links take you to third party sites, we recommend reading the privacy policies of those sites.
Accuracy of content
Content on this site is provided for general information only. Reliance on this content is at your own risk. Views and information offered by contributors are reflective of their own opinions, not those of CXD MEDIA Ltd, its owners or its employees.
This site may contain certain historical information. Historical information, necessarily, is not current and is provided for your reference only. We reserve the right to modify the contents of this site at any time, but we have no obligation to update any information on our site. You agree that it is your responsibility to monitor changes to our site.
Service modifications / prices
Product prices are subject to change without notice. We reserve the right to modify or discontinue the service (or any part or content thereof) without notice, at any time. We are not liable to you – or any third-party – for modifications, price changes, suspensions or discontinuances of our service. We reserve the right to discontinue any product, at any time. As of July 1st, 2021, EU-based customers may incur additional customs charges on deliveries.
Billing / account Information
We reserve the right to refuse any order, any time. You agree to provide current, complete and accurate purchase and account information for all purchases made on our site. You agree to keep all account and other information, including email address, credit card numbers and expiration dates, upto date in order for us to complete transactions and/or contact you as needed.
Third party tools are provided without warranties, representations or conditions of any kind and without endorsement. We accept no liability regarding your use of optional third-party tools.
Use is at your own discretion.
Any new services and/or features added through the website are subject to these terms.
Links on this site may direct you to third-party websites. We are not responsible for the content or accuracy of those sites and accept no liability for any materials, products or services detailed or offered on third-party sites, including those seen or purchased by consumers.
We may, at any time and without restriction, edit, copy, publish, distribute, translate and otherwise use any comments or copy sent to us. We are under no obligation maintain the sender’s confidence or pay them.
We reserve the right to remove content we determine to be unlawful, offensive, threatening, libellous, defamatory, pornographic, obscene or otherwise objectionable or violates any party’s intellectual property or these terms.
You agree that your comments will not violate the rights of any third-party, including copyright, trademark, privacy, personality or other personal or proprietary right. Your comments will not contain libellous, unlawful, abusive or obscene material. They will not contain any computer virus or other malware. You may not use a false email address, pretend to be someone else, or mislead us or third-parties. You are solely responsible for any comments you make and their accuracy.
Errors, Inaccuracies and Omissions
Information on our site (including service) may occasionally contain errors, inaccuracies or omissions.
We reserve the right to correct errors, inaccuracies or omissions at any time, without notice, including post-order submission.
You are prohibited from using the site or its content: (a) for any unlawful purpose; (b) to solicit others to perform or participate in any unlawful acts; (c) to violate any international, federal, provincial or state regulations, rules, laws, or local ordinances; (d) to infringe upon or violate our intellectual property rights or the intellectual property rights of others; (e) to harass, abuse, insult, harm, defame, slander, disparage, intimidate, or discriminate based on gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, race, age, national origin, or disability; (f) to submit false or misleading information; (g) to upload or transmit viruses or any other type of malicious code that will or may be used in any way that will affect the functionality or operation of the Service or of any related website, other websites, or the Internet; (h) to collect or track the personal information of others; (i) to spam, phish, pharm, pretext, spider, crawl, or scrape; (j) for any obscene or immoral purpose; or (k) to interfere with or circumvent the security features of the Service or any related website, other websites, or the Internet. We reserve the right to terminate your use of the service or any related website for violating any of the prohibited uses.
All materials used on this site are the copyright of CXD MEDIA Ltd or individual authors/photographers where stated. Users are strictly prohibited from copying content or using elsewhere without permission from Atlas Publishing Ltd.
You agree to indemnify CXD MEDIA Ltd and our subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, officers, directors, agents, contractors, licensors, service providers, subcontractors, suppliers, interns and employees, from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, made by any third-party due to or arising out of your breach of these terms.
These terms – and any separate agreements whereby we provide you services – are governed by UK Law.
While we operate a non-refundable, non-returnable policy, we are happy to discuss your individual case, provided you are able to return your magazine unused, in its original condition and packaging. Return requests should be accompanied by a receipt of purchase. Responsibility for return shipping payments may lie with the customer.
Legal queries should be sent to: email@example.com.
ocean photographer of the year t&C’S
The Ocean Photographer of the Year™ is an international photography competition aimed at showcasing the beauty and fragility of this planet’s blue spaces. It also offers significant opportunity for ocean photographers to have their work publicly showcased across a range of international media and public spaces, bringing significant exposure to their work.
The Ocean Photographer of the Year™ (www.oceanographicmagazine.com/opy) is a trademarked competition run by the publishers of Oceanographic Magazine™, CXD MEDIA Ltd, referred to throughout this page as “we” or “us” or the “Competition”.
By entering the Ocean Photographer of the Year™, you agree to the following terms and conditions. Please read the following carefully before entering.
By entering the Ocean Photographer of the Year™ you agree:
- You will not post any inappropriate or malicious material.
- You will not break any laws.
- You will not infringe on any third-party rights or policies.
- You will not copy and/or use any Ocean Photographer of the Year™ content – taken directly from the site or otherwise – without the written consent from us.
- You permit the Ocean Photographer of the Year™ to use your submission(s) as it sees fit, including for promotional, commercial and editorial purposes related to the Awards.
- The Ocean Photographer of the Year™ is officially partnered with not-for-profit ocean conservation organisation, SeaLegacy. 100% of entry fees go directly to SeaLegacy to support its ocean work. Payment of this entry fee (£10 per category entered) is required to enter. This fee is non-refundable.
- Entry to the Competition is strictly via the official submission form on this website. Emails will not be accepted. Successful entrants, including winners, runners-up and those highly-commended will be contacted following the judging panel’s decision. Due to the number of entries received, unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted.
- The judging panel’s decision is final.
- It is the responsibility of each entrant to have read the Competition T&Cs and Entry Rules prior to entering. Should these T&Cs be breached, the entrant will be liable to the Competition owners with regards to any losses or damages incurred.
- Photographers must hold all required permissions and permits for images submitted. These must be made available on request by the Competition owners.
- All submissions must be photographs.
- All entries must be received by midnight (GMT) on June 30, 2023.
- All entrants must pay a £10 entry fee for each category they enter (100% paid directly to ocean conservation organisation, SeaLegacy).
- Entrants who ONLY nominate a photographer in the FFF Award, and do not enter any other category, do not need to pay an entry fee. Nominations in the FFF Award are free.
- All submissions must have been created by the photographer entering.
- Entrants can enter as many categories as they wish.
- UP TO ten images can be entered into each category. The Portfolio Award MUST have ten.
- Post-processing of images is acceptable.
- Images that have already won 1st place (overall or category) in an established international award prior to May 1, 2023 should NOT be entered. This does not include Ocean Portfolio submissions, which can include award-winning images.
- Images that have placed 2nd or lower in an international competition CAN be entered.
- Upload limit per image is 5MB. Finalists will be contacted for higher res if needed.
- Images should be free of watermarks.
- Each submission set MUST be accompanied by a document with image captions.
- Manipulation of the natural world is NOT acceptable. All entrants confirm that all images were taken naturally, without interference with wildlife.
- Entrants into the Young Ocean Photographer of the Year must be 25 years of age or under on June 30, 2023. There are no age restrictions on all other categories.
- The following categories will be awarded:
- The Ocean Photographer of the Year (overall winner)
- The Ocean Conservation Photographer of the Year (Hope)
- The Ocean Conservation Photographer of the Year (Impact)
- The Ocean Adventure Photographer of the Year
- Ocean Wildlife Photographer of the Year
- Ocean Fine Art Photographer of the Year
- The Human Connection Award: People and Planet Ocean
- The Ocean Portfolio Award
- The Young Ocean Photographer of the Year
- The Female Fifty Fathoms Award
- Submissions for Awards 2 to 10 will be welcomed. Award 1 will be chosen from submissions into the other nine categories.
- The Competition reserves the right to award images in a category they were not originally submitted in. This will happen at the discretion of the judges for images they feel are particularly suited to an alternative category.
- Cash prizes are provided by Oceanographic Magazine. Payment method is strictly by bank transfer. Any associated fees regarding each winner’s transfer – domestic or international – will be deducted from each individual cash prize total.
- Third-party prize offerings will be fulfilled by those third parties. Competition entrants give the Competition permission to pass on all required personal details to ensure prizes can be fulfilled in full and in a timely manner. Fulfilment of these prizes is not the responsibility of the Competition.
- All parties offering prizes – including but not limited to the Competition owners, SeaLegacy and Ocean Census – reserve the right to alter, amend or cancel any prizes offered as part of the Competition, at any time and without notice. Entrants who win multiple awards will receive the highest value award. Prizes will be given/distributed at the prize-giver’s convenience, but no later than the ‘entries closed’ date for the following year’s Awards unless specifically stated by the prize-giver.
- The Competition owners reserve the right to disqualify any entrants they deem to have breached the Competition rules, even after the Awards have been allocated. Disqualification does not have to be explained, or the reasons for it proven. Disqualification comes with the forfeit of any associated Award(s) and prize(s). If prizes (including cash) have already been delivered prior to disqualification, the Competition reserves the right to reclaim.
RIGHTS / AGREEMENTS / GDPR
- All images submitted to the Competition may be used by the Ocean Photographer of the Year™, Oceanographic Magazine and selected affiliates and partners for – but not limited to – exhibitions, events and publications related to the Competition. This image usage includes online, offline, digital and in print, and extends to advertising, publicity and any other reasonably permittable forms provided the usage is related to the Ocean Photographer of the Year™. Final say on suitability of use lies with the Competition.
- Image credits will always be provided to the copyright owner.
- Copyright of submitted images is maintained by the photographer. Usage of the images – by the Competition owners or any partners and affiliates – in instances unrelated to the Ocean Photographer of the Year™ is strictly prohibited.
- Competition entrants agree to join the GDPR-compliant Ocean Photographer of the Year™ mailing list as part of their submission so that they can be contacted regarding submissions and results.
- Competition entrants can opt-in (during the entry process) to having their entered images being made available for sale as single prints on the Competition website. Profits on each sale will be split 50-50 between the photographer and the Competition.
If you have any queries relating to the Ocean Photographer of the Year, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Beautiful ocean stories straight to your inbox.
Join our community.